Pages

Friday, February 25, 2011

A Home for My Cupcakes

I'm not a big cake person. (I'll pause here so you can gasp in shock.) I don't know what it is, but cake has never been my favorite dessert. I LOVE anything chocolate, and I have a mean sweet tooth, but cake just never did it for me. So I decided to have cupcakes instead of cake at my wedding. I'm even going to have a giant cupcake so that we can have a cupcake-cutting ceremony--and because the idea of a giant cupcake just makes me smile.

Check out this beautilicious giant wedding cupcake I found here.

On my hunt for the best "cupcake dealer" out there, I came to the realization that the markup on dessert for weddings is ridiculous. I mean, $4 for each cupcake? (Yes, I did come across a place that charged that.) At 200 guests--that's going to almost double the cost for food! Upon this discovery, I decided we should not have cupcakes at our wedding--one giant cupcake, yes; but cupcakes for everyone, no.

I was okay with this decision. Then one day at a bridal expo in town, we passed a cake vendor's table, and they had a nice spread of different flavored pieces of cake and a plethora of frosting choices to sample. I would have walked on by, but my future mother-in-law was on the hunt for a good cupcake vendor for her own daughter's wedding (my future sister-in-law is getting married a couple months after us...let the parties begin!).

So we stopped to take a look at this vendor's table. Tyler took this opportunity to grab a sample of chocolate cake with coffee frosting. It was love at first bite for him. And since we had to test out some of their other flavors, I tried a piece of white (is that a flavor?) cake with champagne frosting. Wow. These people don't mess around! The best part? They are reasonably priced! Needless to say, I left that bridal expo excited like a kid on Christmas Eve. I will have my cupcakes after all--and they'll be delicious!

Okay, this whole back story leads me to my purchase this weekend at World Market (love that place). This adorable cupcake stand was on sale for $9.99--and I had to buy something.

                                               

It won't hold all of the cupcakes I plan to have, but it will add some serious adorableness to my dessert table.

2 comments:

  1. Its really Molly but I wanted to tell you, nice wording.... LOVE AT FIRST BITE. So clever. That coffee frosting sounds sweet. Can you please reserve one of those cupcakes for your sweet wedding documentary film maker?

    Great blog!
    And where in the hell is World Market???? I didn't know we had one near.

    xo
    mrs. fitch

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, there will be a chocolate/coffee cupcake with your name on it.

    World Market is in West Des Moines, right next to Best Buy on University. Wait, I'll draw you a map...just kidding. I can't go in there, because I start wanting EVERYTHING!

    ReplyDelete